Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Pendulum!

Something very interesting happened to me the other day. I noticed a lamp swinging above me while I was hanging out in the local cathedral, and I thought it might be pretty interesting to find out how long it took the lamp to swing back and forth. So naturally, I used my pulse to time the large and small swings, and I made an astonishing discoverery; the period of the swings were exactly the same! 

Since that encounter, I've been doing some studies of the pendulum, and from these studies, I have concluded quite a few things:

1) The period does not depend on the amplitude of the swing
2) Pendulums return very closely to the height of their release
3) All pendulums come to rest eventually, and the lighter ones come to rest faster than the heavier ones
4) The square of the period is proportional to the length of the pendulum


1 comment:

  1. If you want learn Galileo's law of inertia, go below link.
    https://www.theoryphysics.co.in/2018/09/inertia.html

    ReplyDelete